Campus Advisory Classes are in session remotely through the end of spring semester. Our satellite centers in Manhattan, Hudson Valley and Suffolk County are closed; however, all staff and units are accessible remotely. Adelphi's Garden City campus is operational with only essential personnel on-site. » COVID-19 Response

Coronavirus Updates on Operations: Department or campus operations may be modified during this time. Please call or email the department for more information or visit

Office of the University Registrar


Preferred Name Policy

What is a Preferred Name?

A preferred name is a name you choose to be called that is different than your legal name.

What is Adelphi University’s Preferred Name Policy?

Adelphi University recognizes that some students wish to use a preferred name in addition to their legal name. As long as the use of a preferred name is not used for misrepresentation, abuse or to avoid accountability, a student may request this option, where possible.

How Can I Set My Preferred Name?

There are several ways a student may request the use of a preferred name, gender identity and pronoun.

  • By going on eCampus and clicking on the My Profile icon, you can update your name there.
  • You can download the Preferred Name Request Form that can be found on the Registrar’s forms page.
  • This form can also be used to update gender identity and pronoun. Forms downloaded from our website can be emailed to from your Adelphi email account.
  • You can also do this in person at the Registrar’s office, located in Levermore Hall, Lower Level, Room 8.

Students are encouraged to add a preferred name prior to the start of a semester, but can do so at any time.

Where will my Preferred Name appear?

  • Class Rosters/Early Warning Rosters
  • Moodle
  • CLASS Account
  • Google
  • eCampus
  • AU2GO
  • Library systems
  • Degree audit

*If requested, username and email address will also reflect your preferred name.

Where will my Legal Name appear?

  • Transcripts
  • Enrollment Verification letters
  • Financial records/Paychecks and tax documents
  • Grade reports
  • Diplomas/Certificates
  • Employment and Personnel Records
  • Medical Records
  • Third-party reporting (i.e. federal agency records)

For further information, please contact:

Office of the University Registrar
p – 516.877.3300
e –

Apply Now
Request Information